Volunteer at St. Barnabas in Greater Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Volunteers make a difference in our world in endless ways, from aiding people in need to helping organizations run more smoothly. St. Barnabas Health System is also committed to improving the world and our Pennsylvania communities by providing individual and institutional services that support the health, education, and social needs of others. Learn more about the wide range of one-time and continuous volunteer opportunities we offer so you can get involved in our mission to help people in need.
One-Time Volunteer Opportunities
St. Barnabas has supported older adults in Allegheny, Beaver, and Butler counties for more than 120 years by providing comprehensive care to every patient regardless of their ability to pay. We do this in many ways, one of which is the St. Barnabas Free Care Fund that has provided more than $7 million in free care to patients in need. We hold annual fundraiser events in the Pittsburgh area to raise money for this fund and we are always in need of volunteers to provide day-of support to help run these events, which include:
- Our annual Founder’s Day Celebration includes raffles, prizes, and more. Assistance is needed for event set-up, selling raffle tickets, and other event support.
- Our Charitable Golf Open has raised nearly $3 million for the St. Barnabas Free Care Fund since the first event in 1988. Volunteers are needed for monitoring holes, selling birdies, and recording challenges met by golfers.
- The Free Care 5K Run is our annual 5K race that raises money for our Free Care Fund. Volunteers are needed for stuffing swag bags, day-of registration, and post-race party event support.
- Our annual Ladies’ Day Out event is filled with fashion, food, raffles, and more. Assistance is needed for event set-up, selling raffle tickets, and overall event support.
Year-Round Volunteer Opportunities
Resident Activity SupportWe welcome volunteers year-round at all of our community and long-term care facilities in Gibsonia, Valencia, and Beaver Meadows. We have flexible hours with weekday and weekend times. No experience is necessary, and you are always able to submit new ideas for programs or activities. You can help leave a positive impact and enrich the lives of residents in a variety of ways, including:
- Spending time with residents who are sick, bedridden, or unable to attend activities
- Assisting with social programs like birthday parties, game nights, or craft classes
- Performing with your musical group or playing an instrument
- Pet therapy visits
- Transporting residents to religious services or social functions
Presents For Patients
Presents For Patients was founded in 1984 by St. Barnabas to help patients cope with loneliness during the holidays by giving them a gift and a visit with a volunteer. Adopt a patient, visit, and deliver a gift to them to spread holiday cheer. We also offer a Scout Patch Program through Presents For Patients, which allows groups of scouts to earn a special patch while learning the value of volunteer work.
Contribute to the well-being of terminally ill or sick patients and families by volunteering at our hospice care. Duties could include visiting with patients, light housekeeping, office support, and more. We provide free training for our volunteers before they start in hospice
Retail Store Volunteers
We have retail locations like Furniture at the Firehouse, The General Store, and more where the proceeds from sales benefit the St. Barnabas Free Care Fund. Volunteers are needed to assist with retail displays, stock shelves, and complete other customer service tasks.
Learn More about Volunteering with Us
Are you ready to get involved in your community and make a lasting impact in the world? Join us in either one-time or year-round volunteering at St. Barnabas Health System in the Greater Pittsburgh area. Contact us today to discuss volunteer opportunities and where you can best help: