TITLE OF JOB: Nursing Assistant
OBJECTIVE OF JOB: To perform duties under the direction and supervision of the unit supervisor. To enhance/maintain the residents quality of life by providing for and caring for the residents’ physical, mental, emotional and spiritual well being.
SPECIFIC / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Make walking rounds with oncoming and outgoing NA’s (beginning and end of each shift.
- Provides total resident care including such areas as bathing, oral care, feeding, enemas, skin care, nail care, shampoo, vital signs, weights, etc.
- Reports abnormal findings to charge nurse immediately.
- Documents on appropriate forms at the end of each shift.
- Delivers and collects meal trays. Assists residents with meals as needed. Encourages residents to complete meals.
- Passes nourishments between meals and assist those who need it. (10AM, 2PM, 7PM)
- Fills water pitchers. (10AM, 7PM, 4AM)
- Makes rounds and does a resident check every two hours on 7 – 3 and 3 -11 and every 1 hour on 11 – 7. Completes round sheets and gives to unit nurse.
- Keeps residents free from physical and psychological abuse.
- Maintains a safe environment, free of hazards, at all times. Cleans spills immediately. Reports needed repair or hazards to charge nurse immediately.
- Attends to comfort of residents at all times and provide a homelike, clean, safe environment.
- Dresses residents for the day in appropriate clothing.
- Cooperates with other personnel to assure that the resident comes first.
- Makes visitors welcome. Refers families to charge nurse for answers to medical questions.
- Assists residents with ambulation and transport to and from other departments and activities.
- Assists with resident rehabilitation in areas such as bowel and bladder training, range of motion, ambulation training, speech therapy, etc., as ordered on a daily basis.
- Communicates with residents during daily care about things of interest to them.
- Answers call bells promptly and provides the resident with the assistance they need.
- Encourages residents to participate in recreational activities.
- Cares for the residents units including making of bed, cleaning top of night stand, over-bed table, etc., after AM and PM patient care.
- Assists with activities as assigned.
- Cleans commode chairs, urinals, etc. after each use and before returning to proper storage.
- Tidies work areas at end of shift such as kitchenette, utility rooms, etc.
- Removes soiled linens and garments to the proper areas as needed. Does not overload hampers.
- Attends all mandatory education in-services.
- Maintain universal precautions at all time. Practices techniques, proper hand washing, catheter care, and other such functions related to daily care.
- Participates in goal planning. Identifies residents’ problems and offers solutions.
- Performs other duties as assigned by charge nurse.
- Charge for supplies used according to sticker system.
- Uses compliment and compliant system to address customer comments and responds to concerns immediately.
- Weight requirements: Lifting restrictions = No more than 25 lbs.
- Turns, repositions all bed and wheelchair residents every two hours.
- Checks all incontinent residents every two hours.
- Demonstrates knowledge and application of State and Federal regulations.
- Understands and adheres to the policies and procedures of the facility and St. Barnabas Health System.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Good physical, mental health and emotional maturity determined by a post offer pre-employment physical examination. Plenty of stamina. Good personal hygiene a must. Free of communicable diseases.
PERSONALITY TRAITS: Pleasant and able to get along well with others. Courteous and outgoing. Honest and dependable. Ability to remain calm in emergencies.
MINIMAL REQUIREMENTS / JOB SUMMARY: Provides direct, routine resident care as outlined in job description.
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: High school graduate preferred. Must be proficient in reading, writing, and understanding English. Is able to attend and pass nurse aide State Certification exam following State Regulations within 120 days of hire.