TITLE OF JOB: Registered Nurse
OBJECTIVES OF JOB:
The Registered Nurse assesses human responses and plans, implements and evaluates nursing care for individuals or families for whom the nurse is responsible. The Registered Nurse if fully responsible for all actions a licensed nurse and is accountable to clients for the quality of care delivered.
ESSENTIAL / SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS:
- Collects complete and ongoing data to determine nursing care needs.
- Analyzes the health status of the individuals and families and compares the data with the norm when possible in determining nursing care needs.
- Identifies goals and plans for nursing care.
- Carries out nursing care actions which promote, maintain and restore the well being of individuals.
- Involves individuals and their families in their health promotion, maintenance and restoration.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of the quality of nursing care provided.
- Oversees the direct management of the LPN’s and NA’s .
- Understands, adheres to and enforces the policies and procedures of the facility and Barnabas Health System.
A Registered Nurse shall:
- Plan, implement and evaluate patient care.
- Attend educational in-services as offered.
- Undertake a specific practice only if the Registered Nurse has the necessary knowledge, preparation, experience and competency to properly execute the practice.
- Respect and consider, while providing nursing care, the individual’s right to freedom from psychological and physical abuse.
- Act to safeguard the resident from the incompetent, abusive or illegal practice of any individual.
- Safeguard the resident’s dignity, right to privacy and the confidentiality of patient information.
- Document and maintain accurate and pertinent resident records according to policies and procedures.
- Administer medications and treatments ordered for the resident at the prescribed times and document appropriately.
- Participate in planning, implementing, evaluating and revising resident care plans.
- Be able to act the Charge Nurse, if needed.
- Perform all duties and tasks within the scope of practice.
- Have knowledge of nursing practices and procedures.
- Possess the ability to deal with the public, residents and worker, professionally and tactfully.
- Be in good health and free of communicable disease.
- Possess the ability to plan, organize, develop, implement and interpret the programs, goals, objectives, policies and procedures, etc… of the Nursing Department.
- Be required to lift residents, medical equipment and supplies, etc…
- Oversee all resident care.
- Be a resident advocate.
- Support and adhere to the mission, philosophy and policies of St. Barnabas.
- Work and be part of the Care Team.
- Demonstrate consistent knowledge and application of State and Federal regulations.
- Give superior customer service and respond to concerns and readily.
- Do whatever else the DON deems necessary.
- Participate in QI activities.
- Make rounds on unit a minimum of 3 times a shift. Checks that the NA’s have properly completed and documented patient rounds.
- Notifies the charge nurse of a change in a patient’s status.
- Evaluate LPN’s and NA’s performance through verbal and written communications. Provides counseling, direction, and disciplinary action as needed.
- Takes and gives report at the beginning and end of each shift while making walking rounds with oncoming and outgoing nurse (beginning and end of each shift.) Then gives report to NA’s
- Counts narcotics and signs narcotic sheet with oncoming and outgoing nurse.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: Graduate of an accredited school of nursing and currently licensed in the Commonwealth of PA. Be able to read, write and speak the English language.
EXPERIENCE: Experience in the hospital, skilled nursing care facility or other related medical facility preferred.