Hypertension, otherwise known as high blood pressure, is very common. In fact, about 70 million American adults suffer from this condition.
In last week’s blog, we examined the symptoms and types of hypertension.
Today, we will be discussing the treatment options. Although people with hypertension do not usually experience symptoms, once detected, there are ways to keep a person’s blood pressure in check.
Here are some of the treatment options that are typically used to manage hypertension.
One way to combat high blood pressure is to make several lifestyle changes.
These lifestyle changes include, but are not limited to:
- Smoking cessation
- Limiting alcohol intake
- Managing stress
- Losing weight
- Partaking in regular exercise. Consult with your doctor before starting any exercise regimen.
- Eating a healthier diet, which will most likely include reducing salt intake and focusing on fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy products.
In addition to lifestyle changes, your doctor may recommend medication to help lower high blood pressure.
- Diuretics- Thiazide diuretics, in particular, are also known as water pills. These medications work in your kidneys to help your body eliminate sodium and water to reduce blood volume. Thiazide diuretics are commonly the first choice in high blood pressure medications.
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme– An example of an Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor is Lisinopril. This particular medication relaxes blood vessels by blocking the formation of a natural chemical that narrows the blood vessels.
- Angiotensin II receptor blockers– ARBs help relax blood vessels, which lowers your blood pressure and makes it easier for your heart to pump blood by blocking the action of a natural chemical that narrows the blood vessel.
- Beta blockers- This type of blood pressure medication blocks the effects of the hormone epinephrine, commonly known as adrenaline. When a person takes beta blockers, the heart beats at a slower rate with less force and in turn, lowers blood pressure. Perhaps the most common beta blocker is Metoprolol.This type of medication reduces the amount of work on the heart and opens the blood vessels.
These are a few of the most common treatment options for high blood pressure. Your doctor will be able to advise you on what will work best for your particular case.